HandBrake is a popular tool for converting DVD and video files from one format to another. MakeMKV is a similar tool, with the ability to read and convert DVD and Blu-ray discs. In this article, we will discuss the HandBrake Vs. MakeMKV and do the comparison between them.
Usually, people use the software to rip DVDs. Both dvd ripping tools can be used to decrypt homemade and copy-protected discs. However, HandBrake can only process encrypted DVDs if you install a third-party encoder called libdvdcss.
Well, both software will have some similarities, pros, and cons if compare to some top dvd rippers. We will explain in detail the HandBrake Vs. MakeMKV, as well as the paid DVD ripper.
Handbrake is a free, open-source video transcoder that can be used to convert movie files from one format to another. It is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux and hence is an excellent tool for anyone who needs to convert video files regularly.
Handbrake has a wide range of features, including the ability to batch scan and encode video files, support for subtitles, and video filters for deinterlacing, decombing, denoising, and more. It can also create consistent quality or average bitrate video encodes.
It converts the video files on your computer so that you can play them on your computers, mobile devices and media players.
- SELECT TITLE / CHAPTER AND RANGE – Easily select the title and chapters you want to encode or enter a specific range.
- BATCH SCAN AND ENCODE – queue up multiple encodes and let HandBrake take care of them. You can even set different encoding options for each file.
- ENSURE HIGH-QUALITY VIDEO – With HandBrake, you can choose between Constant Quality or Average Bitrate encoding, ensuring that your videos always look their best.
Official site: https://handbrake.fr
MakeMKV Beta is the one-click solution for converting videos that you own. It will turn your proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into an easy to play MKV file, preserving most information but changing it none timelines!
MakeMKV is a powerful software that allows you to convert or stream DVD and AVCHD discs for free. It is an essential tool for anyone who wants to watch their favorite movies and TV shows without having to worry about copyright issues.
The software support both DVDs and Blu-rays but after use it for 30-day, you need to get the MakeMKV beta key in order to rip Blu-ray discs. Once the files are converted into MKV format, you can play them on PC, smartphones, and smart TVs.
- CONVERT YOUR DISCS – MakeMKV is a format converter called “transcoder”. It converts the video and audio tracks of a DVD or Blu-ray disc into MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it.
- PRESERVE ALL TRACKS – Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio (DTS-HD Master Audio and TrueHD)
- KEEP CHAPTERS – Preserves the chapters information
- META INFO – Preserves all meta-information such as track language, audio type, etc.
Official site: https://www.makemkv.com
MakeMKV Beta Vs. MakeMKV Pro
MakeMKV is a free DVD and Blu-ray ripping software that can read discs protected with AACS and BD+. MakeMKV preserves all video and audio tracks, perfect for those who want to backup their DVDs and Blu-rays.
The freeware functionality lets you use the MakeMKV beta blu-ray ripping feature for 30 days for free, after which you need to purchase a registration key to continue using it. However, if you just intend to use the software for ripping DVDs, then you do not need a Pro version.
MakeMKV is also one of the few software that can read HD audio tracks, making it an excellent choice for audiophiles. While MakeMKV is free to use, a paid version offers additional features, i.e. Blu-ray ripping. However, the free version is still a perfect choice for anyone looking to rip their DVDs.
HandBrake Vs MakeMKV Comparison
In the following table, we summarize some of the key differences between the 2 programs:
|Released by GuinpinSoft Inc. in 2008.||Released by the HandBrake Team in 2003.|
Windows, Mac and Linux
|Compatible OS: |
Windows, Mac and Linux
|Supported input formats:|
DVDs, Blu-ray discs, DVD-vide/HD-DVD/Blu-ray files, ISO, MKV
|Supported input formats: |
DVDs, Blu-ray disc, ISO file & Video_TS
|*Supported output formats:|
|*Supported output formats: |
MKV, MP4 (M4V), WebM
|Output file quality:|
Same as the original file
|Output file quality: |
It may drop as it depends on your encoding settings on the software
|Output file size:|
The file is very large, and not for storage on mobile devices.
|Output file size: |
The file size is smaller as it depends on the encoding settings.
|Dealing with copy-protected disc:|
It can decrypt the protected discs by itself.
|Dealing with copy-protected disc: |
It required you to install libdvdcss to decrypt copy-protected discs.
Performs at a faster speed
|Ripping speed: |
It works slower (depends on your PC power and encoding settings on the software)
* MakeMKV only can rip output files in MKV format, a format that is widely supported by many software players but MKV is not supported by many hardware players. Hence, you may need MKV to MP4 converter to convert the file to other formats.
Handbrake is good if you don’t mind with the slight quality drop and the output file is smaller compared to MakeMKV. To preserve the original output quality, MakeMKV is a better option.
The homemade or unencrypted discs can be directly handled by Handbrake. If you have many encrypted DVDs to rip, you can use MakeMKV and then later import the resulting files to Handbrake for compressing.
So, now you have seen that both free tools Handbrake and MakeMKV have some limitations. Why not do a quick check out on the differences between the free and paid dvd rippers?
Free Vs. Paid DVD Ripper
Here are some differences between free vs. paid DVD rippers:
1. Free DVD rippers are usually slower in terms of overall ripping speed.
2. Paid DVD rippers usually include more features such as the ability to rip DVDs to more file formats, customize/edit output settings, and so on.
3. The free tools are lacking in terms of customer support. The paid DVD rippers come with technical support in case you encounter any problems.
4. Paid DVD rippers have usually updated the program more frequently than free ones, so you can get the latest features and bug fixes for free.
5. Finally, some free DVD rippers may have ads or bundled toolbars, while paid ones do not.
As you can see the clear differences between the free and paid ripping tools, the following we recommend the best alternative to Handbrake and MakeMKV.
Best Alternative to MakeMKV and HandBrake: WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a versatile DVD ripper that can handle old and latest new commercial DVDs. It can rip DVDs to MP4 or other formats and backup DVD Folder or ISO Image effortlessly.
Additionally, it features Level-3 Hardware Acceleration, making it one of the fastest DVD rippers. Overall, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a reliable, easy-to-use, and provides lossless quality DVD ripper.
Using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (Process):
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a great solution for converting your favorite DVDs. With just a few clicks, you can be up and running. Here’s a quick overview of the steps involved in using the DVD ripper:
1. Go to the official site to download the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum setup file.
2. Once the file has been downloaded, double-click it to begin the installation process and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
3. Once the installation is complete, launch WinX DVD Ripper Platinum and you should see the screen below:
4. To rip a DVD, the process is simple: Just load a DVD, then choose the output file format before clicking the Run button to start the ripping process.
In this article, we have introduced to you three different DVD ripping software. We have discussed the features of each program and how they can be used to rip DVDs. You should know all the differences between the Handbrake Vs. MakeMKV.
Overall, any of these programs can be an excellent choice for anyone looking to backup their DVDs. If you have a limited budget, you can go for free ripping tools that may take some time to complete the ripping process.
However, if you have plenty of DVD collection to backup, we highly recommend you get a paid tool like WinX DVD Ripper Platinum as it’s a true time-saver while still can rip all DVDs with lossless 1:1 quality output.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is MakeMKV a free ripping tool?
Yes, it’s free for ripping DVDs. However, if you want to use it for Blu-ray ripping, it will be free for 30-day, then after that, you need to purchase the MakeMKV beta key (registration code).
2. Handbrake can rip copy-protected DVDs?
The Handbrake program alone cannot rip the commercial or encrypted discs. However, you can install a 3rd-party encoder, libdvdcss only that you can rip the copy-protected DVDs with Handbrake.
3. How to activate WinX DVD Ripper Platinum?
Once you install the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum by the instructions in the article above, you can click on the Buy Now button. Another way is you can register on their website and buy from there:
4. How much is WinX DVD Ripper Platinum?
The Premium License is for the 3 PCs, costs $39.95 per year with free gift: WinX HD video converter.
The Ultimate License is for 1 PC, but it is a one-time payment for a lifetime. It costs $65.95.